Pages

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Learning Basic English Grammar - PRONOUNS

PRONOUNS



  • A pronoun is a word that takes the places of a common noun or a proper noun.
  • In this chapter, you'll learn about:
                     - personal pronouns
                     - reflexive pronouns
                     - interrogative pronouns
                     - demonstrative pronouns


Personal Pronouns

  • I,you,he,she,it,we and they are called personal pronouns.
  • These words are used as the subject of the verb in a sentence.
e.g : 



  1. My name is Jason. I am a lawyer.
  2. This is my younger sister. She is a dancer.
  3. I have a brother and five sisters.
  4. They are Shawn, Sally and Peter.
  5. I have a cat. It is called Phoebe.
  6. My family and I live in a a big city.
  7. We have an apartment.


NOTE!! 


 The subject of a sentence is the person, animal, place or       thing that does the action shown by the verb.



  • Me, you, him, her, it, us and them are also personal pronouns.
  • These words are used as the object of the verb in a sentence.
e.g : 

  1. I am standing on my head. Look at me.
  2. My mother is kind. Everybody likes her.
  3. Lisa, I told you to tidy your bed!
  4. Sharon and Jenny! Dad is waiting for you!
  5. Lucky and I are playing in the park. Dad is watching us.
  6. You must not play with the knife. Give it to me.
  7. Pick up your toys and put them away.

NOTE!! 
The object of a sentence is the person, animal, place or thing that receives the action shown by the verb.

There are three groups of pronouns:
  • first person
  • second person
  • third person
1. First Person

  • is the first person speaking.
  • the first-person pronouns are I or me (in the singular) and we or us (in the plural)
2. Second person

  • the person spoken to.
  • the second person pronoun is you (in both singular and plural)
3. Third person

  • the person or animal or thing spoken about.
  • the third-person pronouns are he or him, she or her, and it (in the singular), and they or them (in the plural)

The word I is always spelled with a capital letter.
The pronoun he is used for men and boys, she for women and girls and it for things and animals.

1 comment:

  1. What is textile ? Textile is a word that means spinning to garments finishing and of fashion dessign.

    ReplyDelete